CHS Band Booster Meeting
January 22, 2018
Call to Order
A meeting of the CHS Band Boosters was called to order at 7:02 pm on January 22, 2018 by Melody Chase, President.
K. Osborne (Band Director), M. Chase (President), P. Powers (Vice President), A. DePas (Treasurer),
G. Wheeler (Secretary), B. Chase, D. Osburn, B. Hodge.
Approval of Agenda
The January agenda was available. D. Osburn motioned to accept the agenda. B. Chase seconded the motion. The new agenda was approved by vote.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes were available. B. Chase motioned to accept the agenda. D. Osburn seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a vote.
The finance report was available at the beginning of the meeting. A. DePas mentioned that the Financial Report was prepared for the 5th due to rescheduling, but that there was no real activity during the 5th until the 22nd of January to report on. A. Depas went over the Booster Club’s YTD – (Year to Date) report. We have a Main Account balance of $11,108.58 and a Gaming Account balance of $3,384.22.
A. Depas did mention that as of this evening she had written $3,128 in checks for Ensembles, Midstates, etc. Resent fundraising events has brought in money: Blaize Pizza Night $120 and Fast Freddies Car Wash $400. We also received a Kroger check.
A. Depas mentioned that we need to make sure we have notified that the Winter Guard (colorr guard in general) should be and are encouraged to be a part of the fundraising events. Mr. Osborne said he would be happy to remind the team of this.
A. Depas has begun the yearly paperwork to keep our status current. She has filed the IRS postcard and will be sending in the Finalized Gaming Account to the Department of Charitable Gaming soon.
D. Osburn motioned to approve the Monthly TYD Report, B. Chase seconded the motion. The Treasurer’s report was approved by vote.
Band Director Report
Mr. Osborne welcomed and thanked all for attending the meeting.
All Districts Reports:
- K. Osborne mentioned how great All District’s went.
- The dates for All District next school year are January 11 & 12, 2019.
- There are two basketball games scheduled for on Friday, January 26 and Saturday, January 27 (snow day make-up games).
- The 1/27/18 game is a white out, so all are encouraged to wear white.
Two students are participating in Honor Band at University of Louisville.
KMEA: (Music Conference)
- Both Mr. Osborne and Mr. Etienne will be attending the conference and will not be readily available during the conference.
- The KMEA Conference is February 7 – 10, 2018.
- November 3, 2018
Marching Band Updates:
- Informational Meeting and Theme Reveal is February 22, 2018.
- KMEA is revamping how they do Marching Band for the 2018-2019 season.
- They have contacted schools to see if they will host events. Collins has been contacted to see if they will host an event in October.
- October 19th – a regional or semi-finals competition/championship.
- Mr. Osborne has expressed concern over parking at Collins. He is will be exploring that parking solution further.
- Collins competes in both KMEA and Mid State’s events. KMEA is based on school size and the judges have minimal training and experience). Mid States is based on band size and the judges are highly experienced and trained.
- Mr. Osborne expressed he would like to do both KMEA and Mid State marching band competitions for the 2018-2019 season.
Composite pictures have been delivered. We did receive an invoice because sales were low. Mr. Osborne will be
K. Osborne also mentioned he was happy to report that the District has purchased and are assembling the mountings of the tubas in the band room to keep them in better shape and working order. The District’s DAF money was used to purchase the mounts for the tubas.
- There are 13 girls have come out for Winter Guard with 2 understudies.
- February 10th will be their first competition in Indiana.
- Winter Guard (color guard) is encouraged to be a part of all Band fundraisers.
- Saturday, January 27th is scheduled the Winter Guard Camp.
The BLT (Band Leadership Team): No Update
- The 55 Minute Fundraiser will begin Thursday, January 25 @ 3:30 until 5:00 pm. The students will be selling 24 oz all college teams and some special decorated tumblers that are both dishwasher and microwave safe.
- All students are encouraged to bring cell phone chargers, ear buds, and list of phone numbers.
- Florida trip meeting will be Thursday, January 25, 2018.
- Mrs. Early (the District’s nurse) will be there, too.
- Only 23 days away!
General Information for All:
- On January 18 it was revealed that a new school grades P – 8th is due to open the Fall of 2019 for the 10`9-2020 school year. Construction has already started and can be seen in the back open area where the buses pick up/drop off students at Collins.
- 2018-2019 School Calendar has been released.
NEEDS: Mr. Osborne went over the current Needs for the band program:
- We are still in need of instruments. Mr. Osborne has an appointment with Dr. Ellison for January 23, 2018 to discuss our instrumental needs. Mr. Osborne will update us on how the meeting went.
- Seamstress volunteers needed for 2018-2019 Marching Band uniform enhancement
Calendar of Events: Mr. Osborne then went over the Calendar of Events:
- January 26 – 27 – double headers that Pep band will play for
- January 30th – No pep band
- February 5th – Band Booster Meeting @ 7:00pm
- February 7 -10th – KMEA Conference
- February 10th – Winter Guard competition
- February 12th – Bojangles Foodie Fundraiser
- February 13th – Senior Night at Basketball game for Pep Band and Color Guard(?)
(Mr. Osborne will check on the color guard status)
- February 14-19th – Florida Trip
- February 22nd – Marching Band Informational Meeting and Theme Reveal for 2018-2019 season
- February 24th – Winter Guard competition
- March 3rd – 6th-12th grade solo/ensembles in Oldham County
(bus will take students/parents must pick up)
- March 10th – Winter Guard competition
- March 13th-15th – North Oldham large ensemble assessment
- March 24th – Winter Guard championships
- March 26th – April 6th – Spring Break
- End of April/ Beginning of May – Band Banquet
- July 9-13th – Band Camp
- July 6th – 20th – Band Camp
- July 23rd – 27th – Band Camp
M. Chase discussed our current Fundraising accomplishments and events:
- Kroger Rewards – just received $619
- Amazon Smiles – same as last month
- Candy Bar Sales – only a few boxes left to sell.
- Bojangles – Feb 12th Dining Out for Band event.
- Need chaperones and students to play music / twirl flags
- Must have a parent(s) represented the whole event
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm (Parent(s) needed)
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm Mrs. Hodge
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm (Parent(s) needed)
- Outside band playing has been requested by Bojangles
- We will receive 10% of all sales.
Fundraising Committee: TBD for next meeting date
Mr. Chase explained that the band website has been renewed until Janauary 2020. The band website has been moved to a new and more stable server that is more protected. The old content is not on the new site, but it is more streamlined now.
Kimmy made All State Band!
Motion to adjourn the meeting came from B. Chase. D. Osburn seconded the motion. The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 pm by M. Chase, President. Next Band Booster Meeting will be February 5, 2018, @ 7:00 pm.
Band Booster Minutes were taken by: Gigi Wheeler
Board Booster Officers
Melody Chase, President
Pam Powers, Vice President
Angela DePas, Treasurer
Gigi Wheeler, Secretary